Sunday, December 11, 2011

Plein Air Fly Fishing


My trunk says a lot about what I love to do.  On any given day I load it up with everything I need to get out of doors.  There is so much to do here in Colorado and I love being out in the sunshine hiking, fishing and painting.  I usually head out with the intent to either paint or fly fish but I've been known to change my mind so I usually take along both my fly rod and pochade box.


  • For plein air oil painting I have my pochade box (between the tool box and the poles) and my backpack in which I carry my tripod, paper towels, snacks and gloves.
  • For fly fishing I have the fly rods of course and my waders (in the upper left corner).



On this particular day my sons Jake and Nick fished and I painted.  We hiked a half mile down to this nice spot on the river and I decided I wanted to try and capture this nice rock and it's reflection while the boys targeted some rainbow trout upstream.  Their day fishing was more successful than my painting I'm sorry to say.  Oh well, you win some and you lose some.  Chalk this one up as field practice.

Trout hunters Nick and Jake

2 comments:

  1. Scott, this is great. Fishing, painting, and outdoors with your boys. I live on the Texas Gulf coast and head for the beach when we can to take pics and wade. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Jimmie Bartlett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jimmie,

    Thank you for your Christmas well-wishes.

    Yep, I love being outdoors with my family. I've never been the Texas Gulf but it sounds fun...I love the beach!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family as well.

    Cheers,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...